[Emacspeak] Re: Latest Emacspeak erroring out in org files

It is likely you are running an old version of org mode. In recent
versions of org mode, a new and faster approach to folding was
introduced whihc is not based on overlays. At the time, overlays were
quite slow.

Soon after releasing this change, work was done in the current Emacs
development branch (what will become emacs 29) which has significantly
increased the performance of overlays, making them again a viable
solution for org mode.

Following this, the variable to control folding style was added. The
idea is that if your running Emacs before Emacs 29, you are likely best
off with org's bespoke approach for folding and if your running Emacs 29
or later, then you can run either, but overlays are probably the more
robust and standard approach.

So, if your not seeing this variable, then I suspect you have a version
of org mode which is older and has not yet introduced that variable.

Adding the variable to your init.el with a defvar would be one work around until
either you update to a newer versions of org or Emacs. Alternatively,
depending on how old your version of emacs is, you could also upgrade
org to the current stable version. This should work fine if your running
Emacs 27 or 28. You can do that using package.el as the current stable
org is in GNU ELPA and org-contrib is in non-GNU ELPA.

In general, I think if your going to run Emacspeak from the git
repository, you are also best off ensuring org and Emacs are the most
recent stable versions. Raman tends to stick pretty close to the current
Emacs development and is likely running Emacs 29 (next release, likely
in northern hemisphere spring).