Re: [Emacspeak] Problem when editing a document with emacspeak

HEllo all,
I finally got things sorted out. When I opened up emacs I did a M-x command and typed in emacspeak-customize. Once emacspeaks customizable variables came up I was able to find the one I needed to change from 512 to 1500. Once I did that my documents are working fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look at my init file and move some things around as suggested.

Greg Wocher

> On Jan 20, 2024, at 3:02 AM, Parham Doustdar <parham90@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Great suggestions, Tim! What I've also learned from Emacspeak code is to use the set-default function instead of setq to change the variable value in all buffers. Not sure how this compares to Tim's suggestion of using setq before emacspeak defines the variable, but something to try.
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 20, 2024, at 02:09, Tim Cross <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I think your problem is that your trying to set the variable after
>> Emacspeak has been loaded.
>>
>> The variable ems--speak-max-line is a buffer local variable, meaning
>> that every buffer will have its own copy of that variable. If you try to
>> change it using setq after the variable has been created, it will only
>> change the value in the current buffer.
>>
>> Try moving the setq line to before you load emacspeak and see if that
>> works better.
>>
>> Also, I note you have some init code after the custom blocks in your
>> init file. Best practice is to have all your init code before those
>> blocks and have those blocks at the end of your file.

>>> Hello,
>>> Here is what is in my init file:
>>> (load-file "/Users/gregwocher/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el")
>>> (dtk-set-rate 250 t)
>>> (setq ems--speak-max-line 3000 )
>>>

>>> (custom-set-variables
>>> ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>>> ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>>> ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>>> ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>>> '(mac-ignore-accessibility t)
>>> '(mac-left-command-modifier 'meta)
>>> '(mac-left-option-modifier 'super)
>>> '(mac-right-command-modifier 'control)
>>> '(mac-right-option-modifier 'hyper)