Re: [Emacspeak] TTS Server Implementation Questions

I guess, the question stands: what user-facing problem are we trying to solve?

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 3:14 AM Parham Doustdar <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's true, Emacspeak doesn't currently "read" from the speech server process as far as I've seen, it only "writes" to it. Fixing that isn't impossible, but definitely time consuming.
The other concrete issue is that last time I checked, console screen readers read all the text in one chunk. They don't use the audio CSS (forgive me if I don't use the correct name here) that Emacspeak has, which requires you to play audio icons, speak text with different pitch, and pauses. All of this means that you have to do extra heavy-lifting to really track the index, because the index you get back from the TTS engine isn't simply a position in the buffer -- it is just the position in the current chunk of text it has recently received.
So that's why I'm curious if we really think it's worth it. It could be, or not, I'm not opinionated, but I'm also realizing that in our community, we don't really have a good mechanism to discuss and decide on things like this.