Re: [Emacspeak] Installing Emacspeak on Ubuntu

Emacspeak should start talking as soon as you start emacs. The fact it
isn't means there is still something not correct. It will be necessary
to go through a few checks to ensure each bit is working.

First, in a terminal, cd into where you have emacspeak sources and cd into
the servers directory. IN that directory, you will see a file called
espeak. Run this command at the shell

./espeak

You should hear something like "espeak 1.5.1.1" or similar. You will
also find your cursor is now inside a tcl shell with a % sign as the
prompt. Hit Control d to get out of the tcl shell.

If the above all works, we know the speech server part is working. If it
doesn't, you should get an error which you need to investigate and/or
post here.

Assuming the above works, we now need to know exactly what you have in
your init.el file. Post that here and we can see if it looks
correct. Note that when you ran the following in the root of the
emacspeak repository

make config
make

that the process will print a message at the end, Part of that message
shows the exact line you need to put into your emacs init file. You
might want to re-run those make commands and look at the  message to
make sure what you have added to your emacs init file is correct.

If all still looks correct and it still doesn't work, then the issue may
be that emacs is loading a different init file from the one yhou think
is being loaded. If you used ~/.config/emacs/init.el, make sure you
don't have a ~/.emacs.d or a ~/.emacs or a ~/.emacs.el file as those
will take preference over ~/.config/emacs