remote emacspeak problem

hi,
I've somehow created a problem with remote emacspeak..
it all used to work fine, but i must have changed something somewhere.
now when i connect to the speech server running on the local machine, from any machine only the first clause of text is spoken.
this doesn't sound very clear, so let me give an example:
for example if you have the line
bash: trythis: command not found

the only thing spoken is:
bash:

anyone got any ideas on what might cause this?
i've tried everything that i could think of and am stuck as to where to look next.

TIA
Bart