Efficiently reading and summarizing a large document

I often find it necessary to read a large document with speech output,
pausing at convenient points to switch to another document and write brief
remarks by way of summary. It is trivially easy to set up two documents,
each in its own window, and alternate between them, but reading the large
document using Emacspeak presents a somewhat more interesting challenge.
C-e B r will read the remainder of the buffer, but in my experience, the
pause command bound to C-e p did not stop speech. Another approach is to
use C-e . to repeat a particular command (E.G. the scroll-up function);
the user is prompted to press space before each repetition. This works
reasonably well, but an even better solution would both stop the speech
and move point to the last word spoken (using synthesizer index commands
to keep track of the text as it is read). Does Emacspeak presently support
such an operation? If so, I have somehow missed it.

Also, I have experienced the problem with the "save buffers" prompt that
was recently mentioned on the list. I did not realize, until the recent
discussion on the list, that it was an Emacspeak problem. Rather, I
thought that I was somehow creating two buffers with identical or similar
names, it was becoming rather confused as to how this might be happening.