W3 still down

this seems strange.
with emacs 20.3 w3 should find the custom libraries.

anyway that said, this from the install file in the w3 distribution:

If you had to install the custom and widget libraries in a
non-standard place, specify `--with-custom=DIR'.  If you omit this
option, `configure' will try to figure out where an acceptable version
of custom and widget are installed.

so, in your case something like the following:
./configure --with-custom=DIR
where dir is the dirrectory where you found the custom libraries.

good luck.

Bart