Re: Changing auditory icons

    Matthew> Jim Van Zandt noticed a similar problem with .au files
    Matthew> when using the play script which comes with emacspeak.
    Matthew> One way you may be able to solve this without converting
    Matthew> sound files and changing auditory icon bindings is to
    Matthew> install sox and adjust the EMACSPEAK_PLAY_PROGRAM
    Matthew> variable to point to the play script that comes with sox.

Hmm, I don't understand how, exactly, sox would help in this case. I
suspected that, since this is an SBLive, and since these speakers are
very high-quality, that the problem was caused by the fact that these
are 8-bit sounds. I thought that this would be analogous to watching
an old black-and-white movie on a large-screen TV. sox could probably
convert the bitrate and make the sounds 16-bit, but that would require
processing time. Plus, when I'm working, my desktop sounds like a
cartoon on acid. :) I'd like to be able to add in WAV's of different
effects, if possible.

Oh, BTW, I've experimented with both bplay and the default play script
with the same results.