emacspeak and emacs packages

would be a good idea if you're prepared to set it up and
maintain it --I'll contribute my own emacs setup which
covers everything I use.
Note that in general the problem is not as bleak as you make
it sound, folding mode is more the exception than the rule--
it's an old package --has not been revised by the original
author in a long long time, the version I use works well
enough ...

But having a single drop of all the emacs extensions would
still be useful.

    Tim> A couple of weeks ago I posted to this list
    Tim> regarding problems I was having with folding-mode
    Tim> under emacspeak. Raman replied saying that he had
    Tim> found problems with the 2.x version of folding mode
    Tim> and used an earlier mode which he posted to the
    Tim> list. I've since installed this mode and everything
    Tim> seems to work well now.

    Tim> This is not the first time I've encountered
    Tim> problems like this - getting the version of an
    Tim> emacs package which workds well with emacspeak is
    Tim> not always as easy as finding the latest package
    Tim> and installing it. It seems that in some
    Tim> situations, you are better off with an earlier
    Tim> version which works better or is more stable when
    Tim> run in conjunction with emacspeak. It also seems
    Tim> that the emacs archive at ohio state is not as
    Tim> up-to-date as it could be due to a lack of people
    Tim> with the time to do the maintenance etc.

    Tim> I would like to make a suggestion which might make
    Tim> life easier for all of us and provide more
    Tim> resources etc for emacspeak users. My suggestion is
    Tim> we create an emacs subsystem archive which contains
    Tim> copies of emacspeak packages known to work well
    Tim> with the latest version of emacspeak. In addition
    Tim> to the packages, this archive could also contain
    Tim> sample configuration settings which users could use
    Tim> as a guide in setting up their system.

    Tim> I remember at one stage, Raman had a subsystem
    Tim> subdirectory which contained copies of some of the
    Tim> packages he used with emacspeak, but I don't think
    Tim> its there anymore (Raman, correct me if I'm wrong
    Tim> here). Ideally, if we were to do this, it would be
    Tim> best if the archive was part of the main emacspeak
    Tim> ftp site, but if this is not possible, (because of
    Tim> lack of space, people to maintain it etc), I can
    Tim> make space available here and am prepared to take
    Tim> on the maintenance of such a site. I'm thinking of
    Tim> setting up a mirror of the main emacspeak site
    Tim> anyway (to provide an Australian mirror). Emacspeak
    Tim> users could then contribute configuration
    Tim> examples/tips, packages which they have found work
    Tim> well with emacspeak, etc. to this archive. This
    Tim> could then become the first place emacspeak users
    Tim> could check when looking for an emacs package and
    Tim> version known to work well with emacspeak etc.

    Tim> What to people think? Is this worth doing or are
    Tim> there just too many emacs packages to worry about?
    Tim> What would be the best way to do this?  Does anyone
    Tim> have suggestions etc.

    Tim> Tim

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 408 536 3945   (W14-128)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 408 537 4042
      W14-128 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/    (Cornell)