dismal display

I want to use dismal to calculate some stats from a spread sheet. I want to for example compute the mean of a column of numbers. I place mark at the top of the column with C-<space bar>, I move to the bottom of the column with C-x ], then I type M-x dis-mean <ret>. Nothing happens. There don't seem to be any errors, but I can't find the result.
I've also tried editing cell C31 with e, then  typing the expression (dis-mean C1:C30)  and hitting return, but still nothing happens.
I get the following in my messages buffer:

Starting to update cycle ... 2 (1 cells)
Updated 2 times.

The expression remains in the cell C31.
What am I missing?
Thanks,