getting line numbers

Hi all,

I have a question about line numbers.  I'm working with html-helper
mode.  I have written web pages and I am using tidy to check for
errors in my html.  when Tidy runs, it gives the line number of the
error.  It would be really helpful if there were some way to turn on
line numbering so that you would know which line you were on.  This
would allow errors to be found more readily.  I am sure there must be
a way to do this, but I have checked emacs docs and found naught.
Please help!

Ann P.
]
--