speech rate problem

Hello

I recently installed red hat 6.1 and the emacspeak-10.0-2.i386.rpm package. However, sometimes my speech rate will drop from 490 down to 225. The thing that happens right before it is a message on the emacs status line saying
process speaker not running

This is emacspeak 10.0, emacs 20.4 and dectalk pc firmware version 4.2cd. any idea what is happening? Could it be a dectalk pc problem and not an related to emacspeak at all?

--
Jacob Schmude
Email: jacobs@xxxxxxxxxxx