Hyperbole question

Hi list

(This is not specifically an Emacspeak question. However, I've asked
it on gnu.emacs.help and on infodock@xxxxxxxxxxx (makers of Hyperbole)
and have received zero response. Zilch. Weird. It's as if Hyperbole
exists in some Twilight Zone, where it's a well-established and
widely used package, but it's no more than a tall tale in this
reality.)

I'm running GNU Emacs Version 20.3.1 and Hyperbole V4.18

Question: Unfortunately, I've been unsuccessful in getting Hyperbole
    to run properly. T.V.Raman's recommendation in the README has
    kept me trying. At the moment, my problem is simply this:

    When not in button context, using the Action Key (properly)
    echoes "No action defined ..."

    ** When in button context, the Action Key echoes "Wrong type
    ** argument: listp, -130507752"

The number varies each time I restart Emacs. I exited, and now I get
-132108628. In short, the Action Key doesn't work. Trying it on an
Emacs running on Win95 (same version numbers as above) gets me the
message: "Wrong type argument: listp, "(hbut-act): No current button
to activate.""

Also, after some amount of clicking about (following the Demo) Emacs
has upon occasion just vanished as if it was being killed. I then
removed Hyperbole from my .emacs for the time being.

Any help or pointers or RTFM with directions would be sorely
appreciated.

regards,
--jean