one more step --PARTIAL SUCCESS-- first timer needs installation help

Hi,
I am one more step towards making it speak.
I uninstalled emacspeak and emacspeak-ss and reinstalled them in the proper
sequence. After this, I did get the option:
10. doubletalk lt
when I executed emacspeakconfig.
I specified the port as /dev/ttys1.
and in the users list, I specified:
root, piyush
--these are the only two accounts I have.

Then I executed the command emacspeak
This command took me to the emacs editor, but there was an error message at
the status bar:
Process speaker is not working
And there was no speach output. Everytime I press a key, there is a beep
sound from my system speaker.
Here, I must emphasize that all hardware inolved is in perfectly good shape
and the doubletalk works just fine on com2 in windows.
Can you please tell me what could be wrong this time?
Thanks
Manish