Re: A suggestion

Dear Ann

I have been lurking on this list for some time, and have learned quite
a bit from the _other_ newbies' questions, and from the knowledgable
answers of the many competent folks on this list.  Early on, as a
_really_ raw newbie, I explained that I was embarking on an effort to
aid an elderly lady who was virtually blind (macular degen) and asked
a question about the availability of free or low cost software speech
synthesizers.  Several skin transplants later, I am now recovering from
the reply I received from one of our most prominent experts.  When I
gain sufficient skill to ask "intelligent" questions, I shall venture
again to try to participate actively.

In the meantime, please do not separate us newbies from the experts
who have so much to contribute to our education.  Your message below,
slightly snipped, should have penetrated even the most arrogant of
our experts, and the civility on the list should be much improved as
a result of your excellent (ironic?) posting.

Yes, there is a lot of noise on this list, as on many lists.  That's
why the delete button is up there on top.  It only takes a second to
dispose of a posting/question that may annoy, but please give the more
tolerant experts a chance to help bring the students along.

Moe Aitel
--------------------------
Ann K. Parsons wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am writing with a suggestion.  It was prompted by the latest episode
> in a seemingly continuous flood of rude, ill-bred and uncalled-for
> reactions to newbies asking for help on this list.

(snip)

> Friends, I would like to propose a solution to your dilemma.  You
> obviously want Emacspeak to be a developers' list, a list where
> programmers can come and talk about the program, discuss bugs etc.
> Apparently newbies disturb your tranquillity.  They ask dumb
> questions.  they ask the same questions again and again and refuse to
> read the manual.  They interrupt the flow of discussion.
>
> May I suggest that you send them to us?  Put a note on your web site
> and in your documentation that points to:  blinux-newbie-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx

(snip)