"Speaker not running on Slackware"

Hello, listers, paticularly Matt Campbell!
I installed your tgz packages on my slackware 7.1 system. However, after I
ran emacspeakconfig and configured mysynthesizer for the right port, I
still get "Speaker not running" message from Emacspeak. I foundthat all
environment variables are in place and that all necessary packages such as
tcl and tclx are installed. WHen I issue

echo hello >/dev/ttyS0,

my synthesizer responds with the "Hello" message. However, Emacspeak
refuses to see the synthesizer. I am sure there is some simple solution to
this prioblem, but I cannot figure it out.
Can you please help?
Regards,
Vic