Auditory icons -- midi or dsp interface?

I must first say thanks to T. V. Raman and whoever else may have contributed to emacs.  This is a great system.

My reason for writing, is to ask how to stop the auditory icons coming thorough stdiosyth, and go through the second dsp device.  I recently had to swap from a Sound Blaster Awe 64 to a Soundblaster pci somthing.  To my dismay, I discovered that this card didn't have any hardware midi synthesis, meanging that stdiosynth doesn't work.  I then found out that it implements two dsp devices, and it should be fairly trivial for me to change the auditory icons back to the original format, only now using the second device (/dev/dsp1 from memory).  Unfortunatly, I can't work out how to do it.  Any hints?

James Hill