Mandrake distribution problem for Emacspeak

I and my son are currently  installing and learning Linux and Emacspeak.  We note the following problem, which may be of interest  to eyes-free users:

We have installed the Mandrake distribution of Linux.  In the default .emacs file is the following line:

(setq transient-mark-mode  't)

This prevented any keyboard commands from setting the mark;  setting the mark worked fine when this line was deleted.

Also, I am having problems reading tables in W3.  Is this still work in progress, or do we need to improve our installation?

Rob