Emacspeak and some problems

Hello

    I have some questions concerning Emacspeak:
1. How can I make it read national characters of my language instead of
their octal codes? My speech synthesiser (Apollo 2) has support for my
language, so Emacspeak is the problem.
2. How can I increase the default speed of speech? Every time I open a new
buffer it is quite low and changing it all the time is not too convenient.
3. This is a little off-topic, but do you know how I can make VM and gnus
recognize charset ISO-8859-2?

Thanks in advance

Michal