Re: emacspeak on emacs 21.1

Tim--

Thanks for the detailed report.

1) The kill-buffer prompt problem appears to be due to a
   timing bug in Emacs 21-- the emacspeak advice ends up
   getting called after the command is done.  A quick look
   at the Emacs 21 sources (see --src/buffer.c) didn't turn up
   anything --so I suspect this problem may show up on some
   other command as well.  I've checked in a work-around
   --but we need to spot the timing bug so it can be
   reported to the Emacs maintainers and fixed in the
   future.

2) Note that emacs 21 handles certain things in the
   minibuffer differently --it attempts to be "smart" about
   fields --and distinguishes the prompt text from the user
   input.  One consequence of this is that you cannot move
   the cursor to the prompt text when in the minibuffer
   without going to some extra effort --this is intentional.

   Emacspeak command emacspeak-speak-buffer will speak the
   entire contents of the minibuffer --even the portion you
   can't easily navigate to --so even without the
   work-around I checked in C-e b will speak the minibuffer
   display.

Note that the above also affects how minibuffer interaction
with commands like find-file  works --

3) Emacs 21 outputs some messages by using the idiom
(let ((standard-output t))
     (print ...))
emacspeak will not speak these messages.
You can see them in the *Messages* buffer --hit C-h cap m in
emacspeak.

4) I could not reproduce the problems you reported with
   info.  I opened the top-level dir node --hitting "p" here
   does produce the no previous node message --but that
   message is not produced automatically --nor did I see it
   interrupt reading of the node.  Suggest you try to
   reproduce this problem in a vanila emacspeak session
   i.e. with your .emacs not loaded -- do

emacs -q -l emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el

5) I have W3 and URL
   checked out of CVS --and aural CSS does not work in Emacs
   21 --since you say w3 worked for you, I'm curious as to
   whether Aural CSS worked at your end.

Also, W3  appears to suffer from a timer bug --when you
load W3 the first time it warns you about an invalid timer
twice.  When I fetch pages with W3 --the retrieval goes into
the background --this is nice-- but retrieval takes a lot
longer --not so nice.  If you have more to say on W3 we
should copy the xemacs and w3-beta lists list which is where
the W3 developpers are likely to see it.

--Raman

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc