Re: hopefully a simple question and a test of my vm setup

It's probably a character set conversion issue, but I haven't
investigated it. The first problem is whether the web server properly
reports the character set of the document, then whether Emacs performs
the necessary conversions if the character set of the document doesn't
match that which Emacs itself is using. In principle, everything
should use Unicode in the future and thus the problem ought to
disappear.