ViaVoice and stdiosynth problems

I've tried to install emacpseak 15.0 on a machine with a clean copy of red
hat 7.0.

In working my way through the emacspeak how to I've come across a couple
problems.
Emacspeak, both ViaVoice programs seem to install successfully.
However when testing the stdiosynth program ? no luck.

the .C file includes a soundcard.h in the /usr/include/oss directory.

this directory doesn't exist.  So, I've located the .h file and have changed
the #include statement to point to it.

still no go.  Now I get an error message about gets being dangerious.  I
think this is because if a stream isn't null terminated, gets may do strange
things.

Any suggestiosn?