problem with .emacs file.

Hi,
	Below is my .emacs file. I'm having a few issues, one is the outloud
speech rate is not set to 85 by default, when i load emacspeak. However
if i do a c-e c-s the rate will be set, any suggestions?
	Also, the default major mode is not being set to text. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Dave.

(setq outloud-default-speech-rate 85)
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(setq shell-file-name " /bin/bash ")
(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
	  'comint-watch-for-password prompt)
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "/bin/bash")