Re: problem

Igor Gueths writes:
 > I actually have /dev/ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, and ttyS3.
 >
 > On Sun, 5 May 2002, T. V. Raman wrote:
 >
 > > you're probably running devfs with debian --
 > > did you check to see if you actually have /dev/ttyS0--
 > >
 > >     Igor> Hi. I exported all four of the variables in the
 > >     Igor> last message, and got the following series of
 > >     Igor> messages:
 > >
 > >     Igor> 	Set port to /dev/ttyS0 Error: stty: Standard
 > >     Igor> input: Standard input/output error while executing
 > >     Igor> "exec stty sane 9600 raw -echo < $port ("linux"
 > >     Igor> arm line 2) invoked from within "switch -exact --
 > >     Igor> $machine DEC { #osf and ultrix exec stty sane 9600
 > >     Igor> raw -echo < $port exec stty ixon ixoff $p..."
 > >     Igor> (proceedure "tts_setserial" line 8) invoked from
 > >     Igor> within "tts_setserial" file
 > >     Igor> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/dtk-exp
 > >     Igor> line 407
 > >
 > >     Igor> 	Anyone know how to fix this error? I
 > >     Igor> currently have Emacspeak 15.0 and tclx 8.04 and
 > >     Igor> tcl 8.2. I am also running Speakup, however I have
 > >     Igor> killed it before executing tcl for testing
 > >     Igor> purposes. Could the fact that Speakup is compiled
 > >     Igor> into the kernel and not running as user space have
 > >     Igor> anything to do with the problem I am experiencing?
 > >     Igor> Thanks! Speakup is On Sun, 5 May 2002, Jason White
 > >     Igor> wrote:
 > >
 > >     >> First the environment settings:
 > >     >>
 > >     >> export DTK_PROGRAM=dtk-exp export DTK_PORT=/dev/ttyS0
 > >     >> export DTK_TCL=tcl export DTK_DEVICE="DECtalk
 > >     >> Express"
 > >     >>
 > >     >> Make sure that a recent version of tclx (not just
 > >     >> tcl) is installed.
 > >     >>
 > >     >> When submitting a problem report to the mailing list,
 > >     >> I would also suggest quoting the exact error message
 > >     >> that you received. This should help other Emacspeak
 > >     >> users to identify the cause.
 > >     >>
 > >     >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 > >     >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 > >     >> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 > >     >> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 > >     >> "unsubscribe" or "help"
 > >     >>
 > >     >>

 > >     Igor> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 > >     Igor> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change
 > >     Igor> your address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 > >     Igor> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject
 > >     Igor> of "unsubscribe" or "help"
 > >
 > > --
 > > Best Regards,
 > > --raman
 > >

 > > Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
 > > WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
 > > AIM: TVRaman
 > > PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc

Maybe your other software (speak-up) has control of the port when
 > Emacspeak is trying to use it. Speak-up, as I remember from various
 > announcements, is a kernel module, so it is just possible that
 > Emacspeak might not be able to access the port.

Try this:
echo This is a test. > /dev/ttyS0

from the shell prompt.

Also try using stty to set serial parameters on /dev/ttyS0, and if you
think there could be a conflict with speak-up, ask on the speak-up
mailing list.

I have never used speak-up and thus don't know whether it might be
engaged in a conflict here.