DAISY reader et al

Hi all,

I want to preface this message by saying two things.  First, I think
Emacspeak16 is very nice so far.  I like several things about it.  I
particularly like what's been done with vm, although I wish I'd known
that the place for the folders had been changed.  I like not having to
switch between the summary and the presentation buffers.  Things seem
to be running smoothly here.  Knock on wood.

Second, I have read the docs on the subject of my question, but still
find myself in the dark.  Now, the subject of my question is the DAISY
Reader.  What formats of text will it read?  Will it read just plain
txt files?  Also, will it read books from Bookshare?  There was
nothing in the documentation I read in the info files or via c-h c-e
which explained anything about that at all.
Part of the reason I upgraded from 14 to 16 was precisely because of
the DAISY Reader.  The problem is, the docs are as clear as mud!  So,
good people, please don't flame me or tell me to read the docs.

So folks, please, can someone write me and explain these things?  To
reiterate, what formats will the reader accept?  Exactly how does one
"open" the mode; what do you put in the minibuffer when it asks you
for a filename?  When I put in a txt file's name, it didn't do a
thing.

Next, will this thing work on books from bookshare?  If it does, then
I may just go and pay $75 to join up.

finally, if it doesn't read txt files, why not?  I've been looking for
years for a text reader for Linux that has the same flexibility as the
Readit program in DOS.  I haven't found anything to match it yet!  I
want something that will read continuously, stop on a dime, add
bookmarks, and return to them when commanded.

thanks for reading.  Appreciate your time, folks.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxx 			ICQ Number:  33006854