comint-output-filter-functions in emacspeak-16

More emacspeak-16 questions, yes I'm moving over to it.
I notice that emacspeak-advice.el  adds 'comint-truncate-buffer to
'comint-output-filter-functions
which was causing me to have silent output in long  comint buffers.
This is probably an interaction
with some other setting of mine.  I've removed it
via remove-hook with no obvious disastrous consequences yet.
Was there an emacspeak related reason for putting it there or was this
just  stopping the comint buffers from getting large enough to make
life uncomfortable for emacs?
thanks again
Peter Rayner