[Conf] dired and diredx

looks fine.
Once you switch to custom you can set some of the variables you're
setting in the hooks via custom
I stayed away from using custom for a long time, but finally cut
 everything possible from my .emacs to custom, and it's become a lot
easier to maintain things across multiple machines.

    Tim> Just in case there are some who might be interested, below is
    Tim> a snippet from my .emacs setup which configures dired and
    Tim> diredx. I use diredx for its very handy ability to omit
    Tim> certain files from the dired listing. Files which are omitted
    Tim> can easily be shown using \M-o which toggles between omitted
    Tim> and un-omitted mode.

    Tim> The last part of the file causes dired to sort listings with
    Tim> directories first.

    Tim> I've only run this under emacs 21 and still consider myself
    Tim> an elisp novice, so if you see any bugs, bad coding practice
    Tim> or whatever, please let me know.

    Tim> Tim

    Tim> ;; From .emacs 11th Jan 2003. tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx ;; Load
    Tim> diredx (add-hook 'dired-load-hook (lambda () (setq
    Tim> dired-x-hands-off-my-keys nil) (load "dired-x") (setq
    Tim> dired-guess-shell-gnutar "tar") ))

    Tim> ;; Omit uninteresting files from dired listing. Can show with
    Tim> \M-o (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook (lambda () (setq
    Tim> dired-omit-files-p t) (setq dired-omit-files

    Tim> ;; Sort dired listings with directories first (add-hook
    Tim> 'dired-after-readin-hook (lambda () (save-excursion (let
    Tim> (buffer-read-only) (forward-line 2) ;; beyond dir. header
    Tim> (sort-regexp-fields t "^.*$" "[ ]*." (point) (point-max))))
    Tim> (set-buffer-modified-p nil)))

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
AIM: TVRaman
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc