Re: which distro?

Hi, I personally feel Red Hat 8.0 is your best choice. It comes with
speakup, emacspeak, and festival.
It also has a vary large list of packages, and is becoming one of the most
well known as a leader in Linux distributions.
If you get the espeakf project out of source forge you could use festival
a as a synth for emacspeak. However, flite at this point is a little
further along as far as a server for emacspeak.
Oh, and you shouldn't have any problems using the Dectalk Software if you
would want to, because for one reason the Dectalk server was compiled on a
Red hat system.
My problem I found with Debian is that Debian doesn't include some of
these things out of the box, libraries are somewhat incompatible with Red
Hat,  and Debian is pretty slow on moving to new changes. For example the
new gcc has been used by Red Hat and Mandrake for a couple versions now,
and Debian is still doddling along on that dinosaur version 2.95.
Just my thoughts, and opinions here. Hope no hard feelings.