RE: Best advice for new user

FWIW, my experience as a sighted newbie to emacspeak:
Assuming you already got emacspeak to talk (not always trivial, depending on distro/sound hardware/synthesis software
combination, try browsing the archives/documentation for clues), the best first thing when approaching emacs is to launch the tutorial
(type C-h t, whereas C represents the Control key).
I still use mozilla/outlook for reading mail so I can't help you on that, but there are emacs packages like VM, gnus, rmail
that can be used for that (emacs commands for activating them are are M-x command-name, where M represents the Alt/Meta key).
For Googling/surfing, commands like browse-url-lynx-emacs (lynx should be installed on your system) should do it.

Hope it helps,
Barak.