No Subject

Looking back at the thread, I do feel I may have misread what your
problem was - I don't know if that was because I didn't read it
closely enough or because your description was not clear enough - I
suspect it was a combination of both. The main thing which prompted me
to respond was that it was obvious you had attempted to find a
solution and that is exactly the type of poster we want to encourage,
so I thought I'd suggest a couple of possible things to check out and
some warnings regarding issues you may not have been aware of.

I hope this experience does not discourage you from using this
resource as its important and helps build up a valuable archive of
information others can use. I hope we will see you on this list again!

Tim

 Yvonne> At Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:05:27 -0700, T V Raman wrote:

 >> Those ines of code in emacspeak-websearch deserved to be deleted
 >> and are now gone.

 Yvonne> Thanks for that.

 >> However your assertion that its presence meant that you couldn't
 >> use emacspeak-websearch unless w3 was installed was incorrect-- it
 >> set up browse-url to use W3 if and only if W3 was installed.

 Yvonne> *sigh* I didn't say that. Or at least, if I did, I didn't
 Yvonne> mean that.  I've been using emacspeak for more than enough
 Yvonne> years to be aware of the w3 vs w3m problem. I.e. w3 has the
 Yvonne> features but, on my setup, takes way, way too long to display
 Yvonne> web pages. Therefore, it's a productivity trade off for me.
 Yvonne> My only argument was, and is still, that I did *not* want
 Yvonne> emacspeak to change my browse-url setting unless I asked it
 Yvonne> to or I changed it myself. My primary web browser is w3m. I
 Yvonne> will occasionally use w3 if, and that's usually a big if, I
 Yvonne> need the advanced features, hence it's installed. As far as I
 Yvonne> know, the xslt stuff is still in the emacspeak-w3 file
 Yvonne> anyway, therefore it's messy not to have both browsers
 Yvonne> installed. I had no intention of causing all this trouble, I
 Yvonne> swear I didn't. I think my ability to explain myself must've
 Yvonne> been thrown out the window in the last couple of days or
 Yvonne> something.

 >> Note that some of emacspeak-websearch's functionality --in fact
 >> quite a lot of its advanced functionality-- may not work with w3m
 >> --

 Yvonne> That's probably the case, yes. For good or for evil, though,
 Yvonne> I don't use most of emacspeak-websearch's functionallity. I
 Yvonne> would say 99.9% of my use of it involves nothing more than
 Yvonne> calling google with a single keystroke combination. About the
 Yvonne> only advanced functionality involved there seems to be the
 Yvonne> ability of emacspeak to jump down to the search results,
 Yvonne> bypassing the stuff up the top. Since I really don't find
 Yvonne> going down a couple of lines to get to my search results all
 Yvonne> that inconvenient, I don't think that's exactly something
 Yvonne> I'll miss.

 Yvonne> I honestly think next time, I'll just comment out the lines,
 Yvonne> and not say a thing about it. It was a minor inconvenience to
 Yvonne> me that I asked about the reason for, that's all. I'll try,
 Yvonne> very very hard, to make my explanation clearer next time if I
 Yvonne> need to ask such a question again.