Emacspeak stops speaking after 3 minutes!

Hello all,
I recently had to upgrade my Linux installation: now I am using SuSE
Linux 8.2 and trying to run Emacspeak-17 under X windows with KDE 3.1 as
a  window manager, Flite-1.1/edlite as software speech synthesiser. I
use a script I got from this list (probably due to Robert Chassels) to
launch Emacspeak.

What happens is that it starts off by announcing:

"Press C-e C-h for a overview of Emacspeak. I am now fully functional
and all my circuits are functioning perfectly bang" --- all as it should
be. But after 3 or 4 minutes the speech output is lost; restarting
Emacspeak does not help --- this time there is total silence! If I quit
X, and restart it and again run Emacspeak, then again things are fine
for a short time and then silence.

Has anyone else reported such a problem? Does anyone have any ideas?
TIA.
Cheers.
Kalyan

PS: Some further info:

The SuSE version of Emacs (21.2) has a few built-in peculiarities: if I
use customize to set variables, faces etc. these are written _not_ to
~/.emacs but a file ~/.emacs.el. Also when I look at the *Messages*
buffer immediately after start-up I find that the first thing loaded is
something called "mwheel". To save explanations: here are the messages
with a few explanations in brackets:

(
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
  Press C-h C-e to get an   overview of emacspeak  17.0  I am  completely operational,  and all my circuits are functioning perfectly!
Deleted all other windows [I had typed C-x 1 ]

Finally if this is important, here is the script I run: