emacspeak-festival-mbrola (efm) speech rate

Hi all,
I've just installed the excellent efm package by  Pierre Lorenzon.  I
heartily agree with the 'complete installation approach' to getting
emacspeak running.

I do have a problem with the speech rate.  When I start efm up, the
speech rate is just sub-sonic.  When I try C-e d r to change the rate,
nothing appears to happen. Then, about 10 seconds later, I start
hearing a series of tomes, which appear to be extremely slow speech.
I've tried a wide range of C-e d r values, without result.

Has anyone had this problem, and devised a solution?

Thanks,
Marty