renaming long filenames

Hit 'w' to copy the file name to the kill ring and hit c-y

    Christopher> Hello, I have many long filenames to rename.  I bring
    Christopher> up the direcotory listing with c-x d (dired).  When I
    Christopher> hit R on a filename, it asks for a new name in the
    Christopher> mini buffer.  What I'd like to do is copy the
    Christopher> original name into the mini buffer and edit it.  How
    Christopher> can I do this?

    Christopher> Thanks.  Chris

    Christopher> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
    Christopher> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
    Christopher> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
    Christopher> "unsubscribe" or "help"

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    TVRaman