current TTS options for Fedora-core 1

After 3.5 years I'm about to upgrade from RH7.3 to FC-1.  Why
something as old as FC-1?  That's what the rest of the lab uses.  If
it's unworkable I can try something newer but the support engineers
would prefer I didn't.
It must just about be a FAQ to keep a table of which speech engines
people have made work with various versions of the kernel, libraries,
emacs and emacspeak.
I'm assuming I'll finally have to abandon viavoice, at least
until/unless the new versions  become available.

Criteria:
1) Cost  isn't an issue
2) Must support English and should support French
3)   Responsiveness is more important than quality but some of the
8kHz voices  I have  heard  were a bit too ugly.

This sounds like good candidate information either for a FAQ or for
Raman's "tips and tricks" site.  If people send me more general
information than for my requested configuration I'll try to construct
a table of the current state of play.

I'm also sure I'll have some other questions as the upgrade proceeds.
regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner