'file.txt' is spoken as 'file three t x t'

first off it's impossible to guess what synthesizer you're using.
By default emacspeak should be using punctuation mode "all" in
shell buffers, and that should speak the  file name as you
expect, not as what you say you hear.

    >> From emacspeak I do "M-x shell", and from the prompt
    Jason> do a simple "ls *.txt" Everywhere there is a dot, it
    Jason> says the word "three." It sounds like this even for a
    Jason> file like "file3.3.txt", it says "file three three
    Jason> three three t x t." Why does it sound like that? Am I
    Jason> just not used to the way it says "dot" and that's
    Jason> really how it is supposed to sound, or is there
    Jason> actually something wrong with my setup?
    Jason>
    Jason> Thanks,
    Jason>
    Jason>  Jason

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/