non-curses terminal emulator?

T. V. Raman writes:

>all you need is ssh.
>If you really think you need curses support ( I doubt it)
>you can use M-x ansi-term
>and then launch ssh in that terminal, otherwise just use a shell buffer
Doesn't ssh need a tcp/ip layer under it somewhere?  I'm guessing John
>needs something to get characters out of his serial port to the
>serial port on the other machine.  Does minicom with a "dumb"
>terminal setting help perhaps?
In general I agree that the curses issue isn't so serious, I use
>ssh.el and log in to other machines that way many times a day.
BTW, this is one of the reasons I've been trying to convince someone
>(or learn myself) to make one of the smart mobile phones a bluetooth
>enabled speech synthesizer.  That way with a bluetooth USB adaptor
>and some software on the host machine you would be able to use their
>own machine to diagnose stuff.
>    John> This may be unrealistic but is there a terminal
>    John> emulator that is not curses based? What I want to do is
>    John> use a null-modem cable to connect my laptop to another
>    John> linux box running a getty on ttyS0.  Then just open a
>    John> shell, login and shut it down or restart the network
>    John> services.
>    John>
>    John> I do support for the Mat Dept here at the U of
>    John> Wisconsin and I'm always going into people's offices
>    John> help them with their computers. None of the linux boxes
>    John> speak except mine.
>    John>
>    John>
>    John> -- John G. Heim jheim@xxxxxxxxxxx 3-4189
>    John>
>    John> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    John> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
>    John> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
>    John> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
>    John> "unsubscribe" or "help"
>
>--
>Best Regards,
>--raman
>

>Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
>WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
>AIM:    emacspeak
>PGP:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc
>Google: tv+raman

Peter Rayner
LSCE - CEA de Saclay
Orme des Merisiers, 91191 Gif/Yvette
work: +33  (1) 69 08 88 11;	mobile: +33 (6) 75 46 56 52;	 fax: +33 (1) 69 08 77 16
mail-to: peter.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxx