w3m and reading www pages with multiple collumns

Hi Paul,

I actually find both w3 and w3m are useful. For some pages, w3 does a
nice job and you get a very nice intergration with emacspeak. In other
situations, w3m is better. Depending on your distribution, it can be a
little time consuming to install w3. Debian has it as a package and it
is reasonably up to date. However, you really need the latest w3 CVS
version to get the best result.

While it is not an ideal situation, at
least with both browsers, we get a reasonable coverage. I think part
of the problem is that development of w3 stalled a few years back and
now with w3m, there is even less motivation for others to contribute
to w3. From an emacs perspective, I think there is more potential for
better integration with w3, but w3m has some advantages with respect
to speed and the rendering of pages.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future considering
the growth in use of Ajax. Some experimental work has been done in
implementing javascript support for w3, but I don't know about w3m.

Tim