SpeakFreely, ALSA and Software TTS

Looks like this did not make it to the mailing list ---
http://emacspeak.blogspot.com/2006/06/speakfreely-software-tts-and-alsa.html
SpeakFreely, Software TTS And ALSA [Edit]

In ALSA and ASYM I mentioned that speakfreely appeared to have stopped
working. As it turns out, this had nothing to do with the switch to ASYM. I
believe that in the past I had run speakfreely by first killing software TTS
--- since by default speakfreely uses OSS.

Getting speakfreely working with ALSA without losing software TTS required the
following steps;

   1.  Retrieve the latest tarball speak_freely-7.6a.tar.gz
   2.  Uncomment the ALSA specific line in its Makefile
   3.  In file audio_alsa.c, change the default audio device from plughw:0,0
     to default. Without this change, speakfreely will try to access the sound
     card directly; setting it to default on line 41:

     char *devAudioOutput = "default";

     matches things up with the pcm.default that was configured in the
     .asoundrc.

With this, you can now talk using speakfreely and continue to use software
TTS.

Bookmark: T. V. Raman2006-06-19T07:04:48-07:00

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs