Emacspeak X and non-X keyboard issues

strange, ...

as I read your  message I was about to say set terminal type to
eterm in the term that comes up  when you do M-x term.

but the fact tha you're seeing this with slime, and also the fact
that m-x term does set term ype correctly  on its own maesme
believe that his ha nothing to do with terminal type.

Try disabling the advice on the command invoked by backkspace for
a start, we can debug it from there.

    Tim> Hi Raman, here is a test for your memory......
    Tim>
    Tim> Back in about 1998, when I was a new user, I had some
    Tim> problems with emacspeak and the handling of some
    Tim> characters under X that caused an error. I'm not sure if
    Tim> you remember it or not. At the time, my familiarity with
    Tim> emacs, elisp and emacspeak was too limited to know how
    Tim> to fix this - or even find how to investigate it
    Tim> effectively.  However, I'm now thinking my skill may
    Tim> have improved enough to track this down and with luck,
    Tim> find a fix.
    Tim>
    Tim> An example is when you run M-x term. Running this under
    Tim> a non X windows environment has no problems. However,
    Tim> when you run it under X, you get an error each time you
    Tim> try to do something which generates one of the special
    Tim> characters, such as backspace or up/down arrow keys. In
    Tim> fact, you get an error as soon as the term mode
    Tim> starts. The output from the debugger is as follows
    Tim>
    Tim> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
    Tim> number-or-marker-p return)
    Tim> term-emulate-terminal(#<process terminal>
    Tim> "//home/tcross/Mail
\n")