disabling vm's textification of pdf attachments

Hello all,
I  use VM with the "Raman settings" --- that is, I have not tried to
change things using customize.

One feature I find somewhat annoying: Any pdf attachment comes up with
an invitation to click mouse2 to decode into text. I haven't been able
to figure out how to save the attachment to a file.
The  problem is that I am a mathematician and receive a fair number of
pdf files containing maths: and pdf2txt produces garbage! If I could
save it to a file, then I could get it printed and read out by a
student. Unfortunately what I now have to do is either ask my
correspondent to gzip the file before attaching it or send me the
LaTeX document.

I would appreciate any help to get around this.
Cheers.
Kalyan