[Prev][Next][Index][Thread][Search]

Eterm doesn't seem to speak.

Hi Noel--

The question you ask is fairly common --which is why I am copying the
Emacspeak list.

Incidentally, I dont recognize your name from that list; you may wish to
subscribe in order to stay informed about emacspeak (send mail to the list
owner --not me-- to join
"greg e. priest-dorman" <priestdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>)

When eterm starts up it is in "character mode" -behaves exactly like a
terminal and emacspeak is intentionally set up to only speak the finally
displayed line.
Otherwise you'll simply hear too much speech when using screen oriented
programs like vi or pine.
If you do wish to hear the output of commands like ls spoken, switch to
terminal line mode (C-c C-j)
and things like ls will talk the way you expect.
Note that to run vi and such you should put eterm back in character mode.
Nolan J. Darilek writes:
 > Hello, I appologise if this question has been asked many times, but I'm
 > experiencing a problem with Eterm.
 > I launch Eterm and run Bash, but whenever I type any command to my
 > console, none of its output is spoken. For example, if I type ls, the
 > only speech I receive is 'bash$,' or something similar.
 > Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? I'm also curious, is it
 > possible to run applications such as minicom and pico under Eterm? Thank
 > you for your time.

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/raman.html (Adobe  Internal)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.