google search breaking

I don't *think* this is an emacspeak problem but it might be an
emacs/w3 problem and there doesn't appear much support elsewhere for
this now.
In the last few days google searches via ctrl-e ? g have stopped
working.
When, for example, I enter
ctrl-e ? g lequere 2014 earth system data
I get something which looks like the heading of the google results
page but nothing below.
Here are 4 relevant lines from the *Messages* buffer
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Downloading of `https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=%3E+lequere+2014+earth+system+data&num=25' complete.
Drawing... done
Your search appears to have failed.
Note that toggling debug-on-error doesn't produce anything and that
the  request seems well formed, i.e when I paste it into a navigation
bar for google-chrome I get a bunch of results.

I also set gnutls-prime-bits to 1024 after earlier complaints about
the length of the key but that didn't help.

this is with emacs 24.3.1 and gnutls 3.1.25 on Fedora 20 x86_64.
Any suggestions welcome before I plunge into url.el, gnutls.el and the
like.
regards
Peter

--