no audio icons sound

Hi: I've just installed emacspeak 39.0 + emacs 24.3 on a brand new
shiny Vinux box. Most things work, but I can't get audio icons to
work. They used to work fine on my old box.

Where I expect to hear an auditory icon there is silence. I can play
the audio files manually with aplay fine. There are no errors in
*Messages*.

When I try and play a sound from the scratch buffer, I get:

(emacspeak-auditory-icon 'scroll)
#<process /usr/bin/aplay>

But I hear nothing.

Any help appreciated - I do miss those earcons!

--
Les Smithson