Re: newbie

Very true.  In fact, if you run Ubuntu 14.04, there may even be a
single command for Emacs/Emacspeak.

sudo apt-get install emacspeak

Check the version first to make sure it's not some antequated one like
version 29 or something:

apt-cache show emacspeak

If it's 36 or 38 or something, you should be OK.

Alex M