Jabber alerts

Hi,

We are experimenting at work with chat clients.

One of the ones we are looking at "hipchat" provides a jabber interface.

Jabber.el connects and appears to work well with this.

The thing I'm struggling with is getting new messages to be announced.

I've looked at emacspeak-jabber.el and the function
"emacspeak-jabber-message-default-message" appears to be what I want.

I've customized the following but it is not working, am I doing
something obviously wrong?

Hide Jabber Alert Message Function: emacspeak-jabber-message-default-message
    State : SAVED and set.
   Function for constructing short message alert messages. More
Groups: Jabber Alerts

Kind regards
Bart
--