Emacspeak 13.0

First off, I'd like to thank Raman for releasing a new version with
even more enhancements/extensions. As usual its worth every cent (and
a lot more!).

I have just a couple of questions -

1. I notice in this new version that mini-buffer prompts behave
   differently. Rather than getting the whole of the text showen in
   the minibuffer, I now only hear the last part, usually the part
   following the : in the text. For example, when opening a dired
   buffer instead of getting dired directory ~/ spoken I now just get
   ~/ and it seems the part before the : is being skipped. The same
   with many other commands I've tried. This is not a huge problem,
   but it does mean that you don't hear "default" values in some
   prompts which I use to find useful and I quite liked the feedback
   confirming I had hit the right key. For example, under vm when you
   hit s to save an e-mail, you don't get spoken feedback on what is
   the current default save folder (normally the last folder saved
   to). In dired when you do operations like rename, copy etc, you
   don't get a prompt saying something like "rename myfile to ~/ -
   instead I just get ~/. So, is this a new "feature" designed to cut
   down the amount of speech or a bug or a new configuration option?

2. I'm very keen to try out the sawfish support as that is the window
   manager I use. In fact, the original reason I installed this window
   manager was I thought it would provide the best possability for
   getting some speech support in a window manager (as it is lisp
   based). So far I have not been able to get it to run on my
   system. I have edited the files in the sawfish directory so that
   they fit with my installation, but no luck (it is early days). I
   just wanted to find out what versions of sawfish this has run under
   (to compare with my version). Also, do you need to be running the
   speech-server on the system before you start an xsession (I'm
   guessing you need to run the speech-server from what I've been able
   to see in the code). Are there any extra tricks/steps which need to
   be done which are not obvious from looking at the sawfish lisp
   files and the sawfishrc file? I've confirmed the speech-server is
   working correctly by using C-e M-r within emacspeak and by
   telneting to the port its listening on (I left this as 2222). I'm
   running the latest version of sawfish and helix gnome. I was
   running an older version initially, but decided it was probably
   best to upgrade to the latest version (0.33.1).

I don't mind putting some time into getting the sawfish/emacspeak
combination working as it would be very useful and I've been sort of
looking for a lisp project to work on in my spare time (I've not
really done any lisp apart form hacking my emacs config file) and I
think it wold be a really great extension to the emacspeak environment
(I've certainly wanted something to help navigate around my X windows
for some time) and an chance to develop some lisp skills.

finally, I noticed in the emacspeak/etc file a perl script called
last-log.pl. Looking at the code I can work out what it does, but I'm
not sure what purpose its supposed to fulfill. Can someone fill me in?

thanks

Tim Cross
NorthNet Internet Services
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx