Re: What is full path name to the ViaVoice speech server?

"James R. Van Zandt" <jrv@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:48:52 -0400 (EDT)
 [...]
> Robert -
>
> You should have the ViaVoice speech server here:
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud
>
> Yes, it is a TCL program.
>
> Please read
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/linux-outloud/NOTES
>
> for more details.
>
> 	 - Jim Van Zandt

Ah-hah, I didn't have linux-outloud/NOTES file.

Thanks, I was quite careless and didn't read the part about unpacking
the Emacspeak sources.  Simultaneously, I assumed it was necessary to
install "emacspeak_14-1.deb" (out of habit).

Here's my full excuse (wink) for such a large over-sight and a
suggestion on how the text could be re-arranged.  The phrase:

	     "(The last step must be performed as root."

refers to the dpkg command.  At that point, perhaps my unconscious
mind thought that "the last step" was the last step.

The paragraph continues with information about the terms of the IBM
license.  To be honest, talk about the license was a "turn-off" and I
have not taken the time to read those terms.  Also, after the part
about IBM license I turned the page and just glanced at the remaining
paragraphs regarding version 10.0, M-x shell, tables.html, additional
documentation and the mailing list.

Lastly, the sentence that says to unpack the sources is chopped
in-half between pages 2 and 3 on my print-out, thus it "fell between
the cracks" (of my mind, most likely)!

I'd want to suggest a re-shuffling of the text:

 1a. move the "dpkg -i" step so that it comes after the discussion
     about terms of the IBM license.  Logically that makes sense,
     since only after accepting the terms would one use dpkg to
     install the run-time and development packages onto one's system.

 1b. add a step on how to read the terms of the license that are
     contained in the package filess.  Perhaps "dpkg-deb --extract"
     followed by using Lynx to view the three gzipped license files
     (followed by deleting what was just extracted).

 2.  change:
       "The last step must be performed as root"
     to:
       "If you decide to accept the terms of the IBM license, perform
        this step as root: dpkg -i ... viavoice ... viavoice ..."

 3. immediately after the step that uses dpkg to install ViaVoice,
    continue with:
        "Now unpack the Emacspeak sources..."

The more separation between license concerns and those steps I must
do, the better for me!

The way it is now, the phrase "if so" comes just before instructions
to unpack the sources. I'm a simple home user and have never really
asked myself whether I accepted the terms of a license. I've been
learning 100% free software for a few years so I don't have to deal
with money and licenses.  In fact, I'm almost positive that a reading
of those three gzipped files would be completely irrelevant to the way
I lead my daily existence.

Therefore, the "if so" didn't concern me.  Therefore, I didn't finish
reading the sentence and missed the part about unpacking Emacspeak
sources.

I hope this all makes sense.  Now I see why I was so clueless when
emacspeakconfig asked questions about the speech server!

Regards,
Robert Cymbala