Pracital Theory of Speech synthesis

Hi

I am new in Speech synthetisis. I have no knowledge of Speech synthetisis

I am looking for free material (URL or free poscript, pdf, word tutorial)
that explain The theory of speech synthesis and if there are some ressources
with pratical examples that explain  how to design and implement a Text to
Speech synthetiser.

I have to design and implement one on an Ipaq H3660 with 64 MB of memory
running Linux and Emacs.

I was thinking about using Festival but many person recommended me to rather
use IBM ViaVoice. What do you think ?

I am looking as well for the URL of IBM ViaVoice for Linux (Ipaq especially)
and their mailing list too.

Thanks in advance

Regards
---