Re: Patch: Allow Emacspeak to work with 8-bit characters

    JSB> Are you sure this will work as intended? I just had a quick
    JSB> look at `set-language-environment' in Emacs 21 and it does not
    JSB> change `default-keyboard-coding-system'. It does not even
    JSB> change `keyboard-coding-system'.

`set-language-environment' changes it via the call to
`set-language-environment-coding-systems'.

    JSB> I see a possible comprise by making the quail code conditional,
    JSB> depending on the value of `emacspeak-unibyte'. It will make
    JSB> Raman sure that the patch does not spoil anything for the
    JSB> present users of Emacspeak.

I think the change is trivial enough to not be worth of introducing a
new configuration variable.

    JSB> To be on the safe side, `t' as the default value of
    JSB> `emacspeak-unibyte' seems the best solution. We can assume that
    JSB> users of Emacspeak are familiar with .emacs file, so they will
    JSB> have no problem to change the value if needed.

    TVR> 1) I agree that the default value should just be t --anything
    TVR> more complex is better set by a user who is aware of what
    TVR> he/she is doing, rather than the system doing some under the
    TVR> hood wizardry --such wizardry always leads to maintainance
    TVR> problems over time.

OK.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Here is my advice, don't try to program the bleeding edge for the
general populace unless you really, really, really like migraines.