Re: emacspeak upgrade with questions

Doug Smith writes:

 > 1. There is supposed to be a mode that allows you to hear sounds. I
 >    think you call it "freeamp mode" or something of that order.
Install the Freeamp software (search http://freshmeat.net/ to locate
it), then run M-x emacspeak-freeamp
I haven't tried it myself, but it should work. Also, to find Emacs
functions containing particular strings (such as "freeamp") use C-h a.

 > 2. How do I set the default on my punctuation such that when I first
 >    start up my emacspeak, the punctuation defaults to none.
Try adding the following to your ~/.emacs file:
(dtk-set-punctuations "none" t)
C-h f dtk-set-punctuations
will explain the function and its parameters.

 > 3. I haven't heard the audio icon. I don't know what packages I need
 >    to have on here so it will work. My speech is working perfectly and
 >    it's great to have back the capability to hear capitalized letters
 >    like in the Apple II screenreader days.
You need a working sound card and a script or program called "play",
in order for auditory icons to work. A sample "play" script is
provided with Emacspeak and should have been installed automatically;
a more sophisticated version is available as part of the Sox package,
which I would recommend installing.
The name and location of the program to be called (by default
/usr/bin/play) is determined by the emacspeak-play-program variable,
which you can change if desired. However, if you just want auditory
icons to work, make sure that a program called play is installed in
/usr/bin (or /usr/local/bin if you installed Emacspeak with the
/usr/local prefix).

To test your sound card and associated software, give a command such
as:
play /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/sounds/operational.au